Cooler By A Mile

As a kid, my family and I vacationed in Avalon, New Jersey.  So many fond family memories stem from the many years we spent down the shore.  And still to this day just driving that direction brings a calmness and peace over me–it’s my true “happy place”. Avalon 2014 BeachAvalon 2014 Beach 2One memory brings me to the annual lifeguard races.   I remember as a teenager being in awe of the swimmers and thinking that I would never do a race like that!

Well, never say never.  Fast forward to earlier this year and I started getting the itch to sign up for my second triathlon. I found one in Avalon and began thinking, “hmmm, could I be brave enough to do a race like this?” With only one race under my belt I wasn’t sure, but the day that I was considering this was on a cold, snowy one.  Dreaming of warm beach days and my family believing in me prompted me to take the plunge.

So leading up to race day, I began hitting the pool and riding my used, but new-to-me road bike.  And before I knew it, race day was here!

Triathlon-start 7

Me and my mama.

June 28, 4:15 am–Race morning arrived much too early!  But surprisingly I popped right out of bed.  I had a pretty good night’s sleep.

Me and my stepdad, Frank.

Me and my stepdad, Frank.

The hour and fifteen minute drive only took us about an hour.  After grabbing my race gear it was time to set up my bike in the transition area.

Looks like I have a bodyguard.

Looks like I have a bodyguard.

Triathlon set up 3Unlike the Iron Girl race I did last September, non-racers were allowed into the transition area for this one.  So my mom and stepdad came in to watch me set everything up.  Triathlon-start 9 americaWhile much of this race was much more laid back than the Iron Girl race, looking back I wish that there was a bit more structure.  For example, there was no pre-race talk…only a quick talk over the loudspeaker 10 minutes before the race started.  I could have used a little more guidance as I later learned.

Swimmers getting ready.

Swimmers getting ready.

Please, no pictures, mom!

Please, no pictures, mom!

Triathlon-start 8

Total Cheese!

Triathlon-start 5

Getting nervous.






As we headed down to the beach, I learned that my wave would be the last group to go out around 7:40 am.  I thought great, no one would be passing me in the water.  Later I wished there was another group.

Pre-race, talking to a family friend, John.

Pre-race, talking to a family friend, John.

Pre-race, with family friend Frannie.

Pre-race, with family friend Frannie.

Triathlon-swim 5

Heading out into the Atlantic.

Triathlon-swim 2

And we’re off!

One last look back to dry land!

One last look back to dry land!

The water didn’t look too rough–a few days later I was grateful the swim was not on the fourth of July when the waves were much bigger due to Hurricane Arthur making its way along the coast. But even so, it was still the ocean.  I started towards the far left of my wave (the race went from left to right with the current) because it appeared that people were getting pulled and having to back track to get around the first flag.  Well the funny thing is that I was the only one who didn’t seem to be moving left to right.  It was like the current just stopped and at one point I asked one of the lifeguards who was in a lifeboat near me, “Am I even moving?” He said, “Yep, you’re moving!!”  It sure didn’t feel like it to me!  Near the very beginning of the race after I got past the breakers I started to get really nervous and my breathing felt rushed.  I knew that I had to calm myself down, so I flipped over to my back.  I tried to swim some freestyle strokes, but couldn’t get into a rhythm.  As more and more swimmers began getting smaller and smaller ahead of me, I was getting annoyed and frustrated at myself–I could do this in a pool, no problem.  Finally after what seemed like a lifetime I made it past the third and final flag.  Coming in ought to be a piece of cake, but even that was hard!  I heard one of the female guards who was treading water near me say to another, “Keep an eye on her.” Part of me wanted to laugh and part of me wanted to cry!  Avalon beach patrol made sure I didn't drown!As I made it in, I saw two girls who came out of the water just ahead of me.  And my parents cheering me on.  I can’t imagine what I must have looked like at that point, but I began pulling off my goggles, swimcap, and wetsuit.  I plopped to the ground and had my stepdad yank the suite off of me.

Triathlon-swim 9

Running down the beach. Frank is waiting for me to get the suit off.

Now to get to T1–a quarter of a mile up the beach–I was finally there.  A girl was yelling “way to go” and stuck her hand out for a high-five.  I was thinking, well she’s excited and I gave her a half-hearted high-five.  Of course I was so stressed in the water that I couldn’t even think of peeing (sorry if that is too much information here) so I ran into a port-a-potty (barefoot and all…gross!).  Clearly I was wiped and didn’t care.

Now for putting on my bike gear and I was finally out of T1–two girls (probably the two from earlier) were right ahead of me which helped make the awful feeling of being last in my age group a little better.

Triathlon-fans Randy, Kat, Frank

The bike ride was a four-mile loop to the end of the island three times.  It was flat with a breeze at my back for one direction.  As I completed the first lap, to my right was my cheering squad–my mom, step-dad, brother, sister-in-law, best friend and her husband. For the first time since the race started I felt a smile return to my face.  It was time to forget the swim and enjoy what was ahead.

I'm not the cool-looking gal up front!  Yellow helmet.

I’m not the cool-looking gal up front! Yellow helmet.

But my comedy of errors was still to come…as I was about to transition out of T2, I only then realized that my bike helmet was still on.  There goes another 20 seconds!  I ran back to toss the helmet down and then finally I was off to the final stretch.

Running is usually my strong suit...but I didn't follow directions too well that day.

Coming out of the water and heading up to T1.

The sand was not as packed as I had hoped for and the gully in the middle did not help the cause.  People kept crossing through the water to get to the more hard packed sand. Approaching the turn-around I asked a girl whether that was the correct spot (because earlier I saw a sign for the kids’ race).  She said yes that it was, and within less than 5 minutes I was already headed back towards the finish line which didn’t feel right.  Did they shorten the race, because at this rate I must have set a new record for the 5K?  I didn’t know what to do so I ran through the finisher chute.  Soon I was giving up my race timer, handed a cold towel and a water.  I saw my parents and they were shocked to see me so soon.  I cried out, “I think I cheated!” and a few tears began to form in my eyes.  What had happened?  Soon I saw my sister-in-law and she told me that I had to run past the finish line and then back out again the way I came before circling back to the finish line.  I threw my water bottle down, but she said, “come on, we’ll do it together.”

Here I come (again)!

Here I come (again)! Running is usually my strong suit…but I didn’t follow directions too well that day.

So off I went again to finish the race with my sister-in-law encouraging me.  About 30 minutes later I crossed the finish line a second time, this time with no timer chip.

Feeling a bit silly I went to the timing tent where the race officials sat (including one from USAT). I told them what happened and they took my information down and said they would see about adjusting accordingly using my split times (not sure how since I gave up the timing chip).

As I strolled back to my family and friends, they all gave me hugs and said how proud they were of me.  Who really cares after all if my times were terrible (at least in my own mind).  I did something that as a kid I never dreamed about doing–swimming a race in the ocean.  I’m pretty competitive with myself and being at the end of the pack was not the best confidence booster.  But you know what, we all have to start somewhere in order to grow from our experiences and become better.  I realized that it’s not always about being the fastest.  The fact that I went through that finish line–not once, but twice–when many would have just given up and quit at that point, told me a lot about my perseverance and character. I felt that I had cheated and not finished the race the right way.Triathlon-post race

Me and my best bud, Amber.

Me and my best bud, Amber.

Afterwards we went to Uncle Bill’s Pancake House.  My best friend asked me if I saw her give me the high-five.  Incredulously, I said, “that was you!” and laughed.  She and her husband said “yeah, we didn’t think you knew it was us!” Haha!  I was so drained at that point.

Me, best buddy Amber and her hubby Kevin.  So fun to see them!

Me, best buddy Amber and her hubby Kevin. So fun to see them!

Coffee (and pancakes) at Uncle Bill's Pancake House never tasted sooo good!

Coffee (and pancakes) at Uncle Bill’s Pancake House never tasted sooo good!

And of course with my family you gotta have a thick skin so I knew I had to just laugh about the race rather than let any teasing get me down.  At the end of the day I know it’s out of love.

I was so appreciative of everyone who came to cheer me on.  Although not the best race I’ve ever had, it was one at which I needed a fan base all the more.  Thank you!  I love you all!



Vacation could now begin at my “happy place”…a week in Avalon where it’s always “Cooler by a Mile.” And it sure was a relaxing one!Avalon 2014 Beach 3

Beach dining, Sal, Randy, Kat at Quahog's2

Family dinner out.

Avalon 2014 Beach

                                      **In the end, the race officials did not give me an overall finish or 5K time since my timing chip was removed early, but I completed the entire race (23:23 for 1/4 mile of swimming–I probably swam more in the long run–and 50:19 for 12 miles on the bike); I estimate I would have finished in the low 2-hour mark had everything gone according to plan. I look forward to besting this one!

About mileoneandcounting

I'm a young professional living in the Washington, DC area. Since moving here in 2007 I have honed a passion for running and fitness. Growing up I played soccer and softball (and tested track & field for one year). After college I ran a few 5K races, but running was really only a means to staying in shape for me. Never in my wildest imagination had I thought I'd ever run a marathon, let alone three. Nor did I think I'd get the running bug after doing so, but I'll admit I'm hooked! Over the years my blog has grown into so much more than a running blog though. Sometimes I have deep thoughts. Other times I'm simply sharing a training story or a review of a product. Here's the place where you'll learn about me through my many adventures--even I enjoy going back to re-read some posts from time to time. I've also been able to hone my love for health and wellness through my business called IDLife which stands for Individually Designed Life. I'd love to help inspire you to live your best life yet so please don't hesitate to reach out to me and may my words resonate with you. See you on the trails...
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Cooler By A Mile

  1. Sarah Topping says:

    Sallyann, I already thought you were a pretty amazing person, but this just shows how much more amazing you really are. Just the lifeguard’s comment along would have sent many into a tailspin they could not recover from, but you sucked it up and just kept going. Impressive! Your character shines through. I’m so glad to know you! And I can just imagine how well you are going to do next time.

    • Aww thanks so much Sarah! That really means a lot. This post was harder than a lot of others to write but definitely good for keeping humble! I know that God and the strength he poured through me was what got me through that race for sure. 🙂

  2. Becky says:

    This nearly brought me to tears!! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on as well, but I feel like I got to experience it a bit through your post – thank you! And WAY TO GO! What an amazing accomplishment. Miss you, dear friend! *hugs*

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s